So this one’s going to be wicked controversial! But there are actually dentists who are advocating and trying to bring awareness to this serious issue. Yes, flouride is absolutely a neuro toxin. What does that mean? A neuro toxin, the definition is a poison that works on the nervous system. It impedes the brain’s development, neuro is associated with nerves and toxin generally means poisonous, dangerous, life threatening. I am attaching many resources for folks to do their own research. It is hard to believe that we are having our children put something in their mouth and brush their teeth with it that says if you swallow more than a pea sized amount to call poison control… at some point we have to think for ourselves.
Some people say it is a nutrient, first of, let’s straighten that out, it is NOT a nutrient.
Dr. Mercola says, ‘Scientific investigations have revealed fluoride is an endocrine-disrupting chemical,1 and have linked it to the rising prevalence of thyroid disease,2 which in turn can contribute to obesity, heart disease, depression and other health problems. In fact, in the ’50s and ’60s, fluoride was used as a drug to lower thyroid activity in patients with overactive thyroid.
Even more importantly, fluoride has been identified as a developmental neurotoxin that impacts short-term and working memory, and contributes to rising rates of attention-deficit hyperactive disorder3 and lowered IQ in children.4 Many of these studies have found harm at levels within the range, or precariously close to, the levels millions of American children receive on a regular basis. In all, there are more than 300 animal and human studies demonstrating fluoride can cause:5
- Brain damage, especially when coupled with iodine deficiency or excessive levels of aluminum
- Reduced IQ
- Impaired ability to learn and remember
- Neurobehavioral deficits such as impaired visual-spatial organization
- Impaired fetal brain development
Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children
In an excerpt from the Harvard University news article which you can find by following this link~ https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/fluoride-childrens-health-grandjean-choi/
‘The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.* Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. The children studied were up to 14 years of age, but the investigators speculate that any toxic effect on brain development may have happened earlier, and that the brain may not be fully capable of compensating for the toxicity.’
“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says.’
The American Cancer Society has this info on their website~’The EPA has also set a secondary standard of no more than 2.0 mg/L to help protect children (under the age of 9) from dental fluorosis. In this condition, fluoride collects in developing teeth, preventing tooth enamel from forming normally. This can cause permanent staining or pitting of teeth.
Some of the controversy about the possible link stems from a study of lab animals reported by the US National Toxicology Program (NTP) in 1990. The researchers found “equivocal” (uncertain) evidence of cancer-causing potential of fluoridated drinking water in male rats, based on a higher than expected number of cases of osteosarcoma (a type of bone cancer). There was no evidence of cancer-causing potential in female rats or in male or female mice.
Most of the concern about cancer seems to be around osteosarcoma. One theory on how fluoridation might affect the risk of osteosarcoma is based on the fact that fluoride tends to collect in parts of bones where they are growing. These areas, known as growth plates, are where osteosarcomas typically develop. The theory is that fluoride might somehow cause the cells in the growth plate to grow faster, which might make them more likely to eventually become cancerous.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set a maximum amount of fluoride allowable in drinking water of 4.0 mg/L. Long-term exposure to levels higher than this can cause a condition called skeletal fluorosis, in which fluoride builds up in the bones. This can eventually result in joint stiffness and pain, and can also lead to weak bones or fractures in older adults. You can read more about that here~’ https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/water-fluoridation-and-cancer-risk.html
Dr. Axe has written many articles about it, here’s one…https://draxe.com/is-fluoride-bad-for-you/
‘Another expert who spoke out about concerns of the safety of fluoride is John Colquhoun, a dentist in New Zealand who was appointed to Principal Dental Officer of Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city. Dr. Colquhoun, once passionately pro-fluoridation, re-examined the facts and studies available on fluoridation and wrote an explanation of his staunchly anti-fluoridation stance in Perspectives in Biology and Medicine in 1997.’
We are one of the only countries that adds medication to a public water supply. If it is for tooth decay, than that would be a medicine. Most countries would consider having consent before a mass medication. On the FDA’s website, it is classified as medicine, so if that is the case, people should have some say whether they want to be medicated, wouldn’t you agree? For us Vermonter’s with so much fresh, clean water, this might not hit home, but for people who are hooked into a municipal water supply, it is serious because your children are not only ingesting flouride in their toothpaste but also in there water. Teenagers are beginning to show signs of overflouridation in these municipalities that flouridate. So not only is the flouride not lowering the rates of tooth decay, but it is actually detrimental to these poor children’s teeth.
Fluoride is actually a poison so how did it end up in our water?
Rachel Hall, A dentist from Australia explains, ‘The fluoride in our water started out as an industrial waste byproduct of aluminium production. In the early 1900’s manufactures dumped fluoride in landfill and rivers until it was discovered to be poisoning nearby crops and making livestock sick.
This was a problem as it meant the aluminium manufactures who had no means to dump their by-products and had to find another way to get rid of this fluoride waste.
In 1931 researchers found a link between fluoride and tooth decay so the aluminuim company who set up their own research institute sent a dentist to study remote towns with naturally occurring high concentrations of calcium fluorides in their water wells.
Through the studies the dentist found a link between high fluoride in drinking water and mottled tooth enamel – called dental fluorosis. This mottling is caused by damage to the enamel formation from having too much fluoride.
The aluminium research centre called the Mellon Institute’s aim was to support industries. They produced research showing asbestos was safe and did not cause cancer for example. The research was done to help companies find ways to get rid of their toxic waste. One of their scientists in 1939 contended that rather than removing fluoride from food and water they should allow a level of contaminate of 1 part per million as it would prevent dental decay.
The Mellon Institute went on to produce reports that assured fluoride was non-toxic and would be beneficial to add to the drinking water for healthy teeth. These reports were supported by the American Dental Association.
Is this not similar to the tobacco and sugar industries sponsoring their own research to show no harm?
In the mid to late 1940s a group from the US Health Department was set up to look at the effects of fluoride. These studies were classified and not released for a long time after, showed that fluoride was detrimental to living organisms with effects on the central nervous system leading to drowsiness, mental confusion and lethargy.
Fluoride was defined in 1950 as a violent poison to all living tissue.
It was also stated that continuous ingestion of non-fatal doses cause permanent inhibition of growth and the use of fluoride containing toothpastes and internal medicaments is not justified.’ You can read the whole article at ~ https://evolvedental.com.au/fluoride-part-1-fluoride-end-drinking-water/
Either way the question is and remains, Why are we putting an industrial waste chemical into our drinking water and into our toothpaste and then telling our children not to swallow it, or not even telling them because we assume that the toothpaste we are using isn’t poison or they couldn’t sell it to us. But go and look on your toothpaste tube and you will see it says to call poison control if more than a pea sized amount is swallowed. If you are not supposed to swallow it, then why is it in our drinking water? And why are there such awful cases of tooth decay in underprivileged areas that have been flouridated since the 50’s? Those children’s teeth should be getting better after 50+ years of flouridating not so bad that dental health officials are describing decay that is unexplainable. But don’t believe me, go do your own research, I’ve given you lots of resources! Maybe for 2019 our motto can be, ‘Keep your waste out of my child’s mouth!’